Sunday, March 26, 2006

The 'Plus Guest' Dilemma

Also known as 'spare ticket syndrome'. I've often been the recipient of the spare ticket - occasionally at the 11th hour and even with the phrase, "you're not the first person I've tried". Perhaps surprisingly, this actually doesn't bother me in the slightest as I've got to see events which I would never have otherwise seen - it's one of the advantages of being single. (I think the other is being able to eat chocolate hob-nobs in bed without complaints from your partner.)

However, sometimes I get the 'plus guest' invite - such as the Tate stuff the other week - and from the 'other side' it can be a different story. As I don't have a spouse/ partner/ significant other/ soulmate/ latest fling (delete where applicable), the 'obvious' choice is not there. Similarly, I might know a couple who would like to go, but that's more than 'plus one'. Issue then becomes can I find someone who I'd like to take along, who would enjoy it, and, importantly, agree to go with me?

I admit it is not always easy - people already have lives! If I can't find a plus one, then do I still go to the event as a billy no mates/strong, confidant, and eligible man about town?? (again, delete where applicable) I also think that metropolitan female singletons have a slight advantage here as they can often call upon 'their gay male friend'.

I did find people to go to both Tate events - admittedly after a couple of declinations - and on both occasions it was enjoyable and great to catch up with people. However, it has highlighted that at certain times, as Marvin Gaye sang, 'it takes two'.

Then again he also sang 'the world is just a great big onion' so what the hell did he know........

No comments: