Thursday, March 30, 2006

If At First You Don't Succeed......

Vanity Fair, Bonfire of the Vanities, War and Peace - the common link?

I've started all of these books on several occasions and then just given up - I've started War & Peace at least 4 times, get a couple of hundred pages in and then....

Another book for me in this category is The Road Less Travelled by M Scott Peck. I've had a copy for at least 10 years and have started it numerous times. So 'as a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly'.

The first three words in the book are 'Life is difficult' - an interesting start.

The second page says 'most of us are mentally ill to a greater or lesser degree' - I knew it!

Reading chapter 6 leads me to conclude that I'm neurotic - I can almost hear some of you going 'well, duh!!'

So far I've carried on and got to the stuff on being honest and open. Interesting. I consider myself very honest - I'm a useless liar and if asked a straight question will give an honest answer. However, openness is different. I'm a private person - remember this blog doesn't contain my name. If asked, for example, 'what is the creative course you're considering doing', if I don't particular feel ready to share that I won't lie, but I will say that's private (at least for now) - there's the distinction for me - I'm honest, but not prepared to be that open, yet.

There is a good side to this; people know that I'm discreet and that if they share something private or in confidence it will stay that way - an important quality I feel. However, bearing that in mind and always respecting confidences, I know that I ought to be more open and have been working on it in 2006; indeed to some extent this blog is part of that.

My birthday is coming up soon so, as is my manner, I'm being a little reflective on various things - looking back at the past year and forward to the next. As part of this I'm going to do an experiment. Next Weds evening I'll be doing a very reflective, but also a very honest and open post about the past year and looking ahead. The post will be probably be the longest I've done. I'm sure parts will be very dull but it will also contain some stuff which will be quite personal. The posting will also only be around until Friday lunchtime - mainly because I think it will be far too long, but also because it will contain some deeper stuff/surprises and my aim is that the bulk of this blog should be light and frothy. Plus, it's an experiment - time limited openness!

Now you're all thinking 'what is he going to write?'

And no, it's not that!

No comments: