Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Custard and Pudding

Last night I went to - according to the Independent's listing mag on Saturday - the third best gig in London this week - Sigur Ros. Yep, I'm *that* trendy I needed some Icelandic rock. The preview said,

"The other worldly Icelandic dreamscape quartet touch down again on the back of their nape teasing Takk..... album, which pours the custard of joyous chorales all over their tasty prog and post rock flavoured soundscape puddings. Yum."

All I could think was... mmmh....custard ......puddings.

So, how was it? Have to admit I did have a brief thought that it was a touch of the emperor's new clothes, for example,
....there was a lot of use of xylophones and a brass ompah bit....
....the drum intro to one track made me want to start singing Vienna by Ultravox....
....the start of several tracks did sound like they would be good on adverts - I half expected to hear Joss Ackland/Robert Powell say something like, "the waiting is over, now is the time, there is a new type of diesel"....well, it worked for Moby....

However, it was thoroughly enjoyable evening. It really got me thinking/reflecting and generally my mind was a bit hyperactive afterwards - got very little sleep last night as my thoughts were racing.

A great gig and great company - I even managed to have a couple of pints and not start confessing to all sorts of things. Mind you, after another who knows? Would have probably been admitting to lots of stuff.....

Was no pudding or custard though......

No comments: