Saturday, April 15, 2006

Who are they?? Exactly.

I have just witnessed history. Today I was at the match which saw Accrington Stanley return to the Football League. If you are a football fan your heart should miss a beat.

If you're not a football fan you've probably heard of Accrington Stanley for one of two reasons - they infamously left the Football League in 1962 due to bankruptcy, and they 'starred' in a milk ad in the 80s.

Their fans had travelled down to Woking and were in amazing voice - one even had an old wooden football rattle that I didn't think existed outside Pathe newsreel film. There was a dodgy penalty decision - the penalty was then saved, retaken and saved again. All we needed was a old bald bloke with no teeth wearing a flat cap and welling up with emotion at his clubs long desired return to league football and we could have had ever football nostalgia cliche going.......

Tangent/ It may be I notice this more as I get older but the linesman (sod this assistant referee rubbish) looked about 12 and didn't appear to have started shaving yet. Seriously, I wouldn't have served him a pub...... /end of 'grumpy old bloke' tangent.

No comments: