Monday, April 10, 2006

Take The High Road

One good thing to come of irregular sleeping is you discover radio programmes you never normally come across. This past Saturday was one example.

Waking up about 5.40am flicked on the radio to discover a delightful programme on The Animals' VC - poochies getting gongs for valour and bravery (look here). A fantastic 15 minute programme.

After that was Open Country. I'd come across this before and quite why Radio 4 bury it away at 6am on Saturday I've no idea. This edition fascinated me a bit more because it was about Iona (see here) and twice in the past week I'd been asked "Are you going to Iona?"

This question is not quite as random as first sounds as at the end of May there is the Greenbelt Iona week. I'm not going for purely practical reasons - the main one being that I love Scotland, would love to go, but would want to combine it with another week or two seeing other parts of that beautiful country, particularly I'd like to go back to the highlands and islands - stunning. Getting 2/3 weeks off work at that time of year is pretty much a non-starter so, unfortunately, I'll miss out on Iona this time. Hopefully later in the year I can rectify that; it won't be the same and listening to the programme early on Sat morning just gave me a tinge of regret.

For those who are going, have a listen - it's repeated on Radio Four, this Thursday, 1.30pm or can listened to via the weblink above.

No comments: