Saturday, April 22, 2006

It's the thought that counts


I enjoy giving presents - enjoy trying to find things to give people, things I think they might like or raise a smile. It's fair to say that I perhaps have a slightly eclectic slant on the types of presents I give. Indeed some of you reading this have been the lucky recipients/poor souls who have received various annuals, strange CDs, mountain horns or cow bells - if it's a 'landmark' birthday or I'm returning from holiday, beware.

Last week I went down to Salisbury and Stonehenge for the day - never been there so thought I'd give it a whirl. Confession time - I like stone circles and 'henges'. I think they are fascinating and the best bit about them is their apparent pointlessness. What were they for? Religious ceremonies? Bizarre ancient sports? Early attempts at community theatre? Or are they there to act as landing site guides for the arrival of UFOs?? Who knows??

Have to say Stonehenge was very disappointing both in terms of its scale and the 'experience'; Avebury is much better as you can get up close and hug the henge. However, the gift shop was a marvelous collection of expensive tat and kitsch - so many temptations for me to buy stuff as gifts and particularly tempted by the Stonehenge snowglobe, but felt £9.99 was a tad steep.

Then went to Salisbury Cathedral. Was interesting being stuck behind a group of French teenagers being taking around with a very British 'blue rinse' cathedral guide outlining the delights to them (in French). How disappointed must they have been? You're 15, you're off to England with your friends - where do you end up? Going around a 13th century cathedral in rural England behind a woman of 'certain years'; like you don't have 13th century cathedrals in France.

However, just as English Heritage giftshops can be a wonderful source of my 'unique' presents - so can cathedral shops. Salisbury was no exception as it had the usual collection of Celtic crosses, bizarre teatowels and strange fudge & clotted cream. What really interested me was that in their book section, amongst the usual collection of Bibles and writings by CS Lewis and the Archbishop of Canterbury, there were the biographies of Eric Sykes, Billy Connolly, Frankie Howerd and, if I recall correctly, Les Dawson! Truly wonderful and very British.

Then the other day I came across this - if only I'd seen it a few months ago this could have made an excellent present for a couple of people. From there I then also discovered that the Mandy Annual is still going strong. I know, I'm showing far too much knowledge here - but I love the idea of calling mags for girls Jackie and Mandy. What would the equivalent be for boys - Brain and Dave??


tangent/ tonight as a young(ish) intelligent and cultural person was I off out to a meal with friends and sophisticated conversation, a trip to the theatre, maybe a gallery? No, I went and bought a new vacuum cleaner. Sometimes my life is beyond parody :o) /end tangent

No comments: