Saturday, December 31, 2005

That Was The Year That Was

I knew 2005 was going to be an eventful year; all being well my MBA studies would come to an end and I was looking to move to a different part of London at some point in the summer. Following this, the autumn was going to be a time for readjusting and relaxing - little did I know.

The year has had some great moments; a wonderful skiing holiday, going to a FA cup semi final, graduating with an MBA, moving flat, and going to the first day of the Ashes Test Match at the Oval. I’ve built upon some new friendships and also caught up with some older ones. However, much has been overshadowed by my father’s sudden death - never an easy event and one which left a lot of emotional and practical issues to deal with. For the summer and autumn my life got put on hold - the vague plans I had quickly ignored.

I still remember clearly where I was when I got the phone call; the numbness which struck and then having to make phone calls to the wider family. Arrangements had to be made, solicitors dealt with, numerous things to sort out over a period of months. However, even amongst such a time of sorrow, there have been precious moments to savour. I’ve spent more time with friends and family than I would normally. I received several cards and notes from people, all of which were invaluable and for which I thank you. 2005 had both low and high moments - and it’s important that the highs are equally remembered.

As for 2006? Just like a model in the swimsuit round of a beauty pageant (now there’s a nice mental image for you!) I wish for world peace and an end to hunger. I guess I have similar aims to others - eat better, exercise more etc. Interestingly, for the year ahead I have few plans - I’m not studying and I don’t intend to move job or flat. I want to get to know where I live a bit better, become more comfortable with myself, become more relaxed. Who knows where this might lead and what might happen? The year could contain some adventure, perhaps excitement, learning a new skill, finally commencing writing that sitcom set in a shopping centre, may be even romance, who knows? For me the key will be to be open to whatever happens.

So as 2005 draws to a close, wherever you are, and whoever you see the New Year in with, I hope that you remember the highs as well as the lows. Hold on to the good times and learn from the not so good. I hope you look forward to the coming year and I wish you a very happy 2006.

No comments: