Sunday, December 18, 2005

Know Thyself?

Been another week with several social occasions and chances to catch up with friends. Driving back from one party I got a little reflective. It was a party where I knew a few people, but not many, and as I’ve said before I wouldn‘t see myself as a ‘natural‘ on these occasions. I’m quite introverted and have the Myers-Briggs results to prove it!

About a year ago I took the Myers-Briggs personality test and I scored highly on the introversion scale - for me not a great surprise. However, results from colleagues and friends did surprise me - of the 16 broad personality types within the test, between them friends and colleagues put me in 12, and none chose the one I scored in. This suggests I’m either incredibly well balanced or slightly barking!

Why am I introverted? Alan Bennett comments his shyness is down to being brought up to be polite and not to show off - I feel there’s quite a bit of truth in that! For myself, introversion is a combination of being private, being shy and perhaps slightly lacking in self confidence (IMHO very different to low self esteem). And yes, I use self deprecating humour as a bit of a defence.

Is this good or bad? I don’t know, but I feel it’s an area I need to work at so that gives a sort of answer. I know have a lot of good qualities - apparently some have commented that I could be regarded as a ‘good catch’ (yes, I know - insert joke here about mackerel or sprat?) and I guess, along with the Alan Bennett comment above, there is probably an element of truth in it.

Yep, I know I need to loosen up a little, not be as guarded, become a bit more open and perhaps allow a little more of the ‘real me’ to show through. Bloody terrifying though! Experimenting with this blog is one part of the process and who knows, I could be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: