Monday, December 05, 2005

Busy - but in a good way

Recently I’ve watched Pride and Prejudice – both the new film and the BBC series. Darcy comments, “I have not that talent which some possess, of conversing easily with strangers.” Now I’m unlike Darcy in numerous ways (!) but the above line hit home with me – it’s the one quality (?) I have in common with him. I’m private, quiet and introverted – areas on which I’m working. Put me in a room with a bunch of strangers and I’ll be the wallflower - I can’t ‘work’ a room at parties; a quality I don’t have but do admire in others. (BTW - Lizzie’s reply – “I do not play this instrument so well as I should wish to, but I have always supposed that to be my own fault, because I would not take the trouble of practising!” – is excellent and puts both Darcy and I in our places. Also the real love story in P&P has to be Mr & Mrs Bennett).

I thought about this as in the past couple of weeks I’ve been busy catching up with old friends and building on new friendships. I don’t feel building on newer friendships comes naturally to me, and the past couple of weeks have coincided with one of my bouts of insomnia - I usually get a couple of spells a year. Lack of sleep tends to make me grumpier (is that possible?) and appear semi-detached – not the best qualities when catching up with friends!! I also managed to double book a couple of things on Saturday and ended go back and forth across London trying to fit everything in. So to all I’ve seen in the past few weeks I’d like to apologise if I was even grumpier or more semi detached than normal – it wasn’t you!

Catching up with older friends, and building on newer friendships, has been a real joy. Time on these things is always well spent – thank you.

No comments: