Saturday, December 24, 2005

'Twas the night before Christmas

Christmas is nearly upon us. Yesterday, amid the final bits of my Christmas shopping and wrapping of presents, I took a couple of hours out to watch ‘The Family Stone’. To say it’s had mixed reviews is an understatement - last Saturday the Independent listing mag described it as very good and gave it 4 stars out of 5, on Friday the Independent was listing it as ‘one to avoid‘, today it was one on the top 5 films to see in its listing mag!

It’s about family and Christmas. It’s OK - a little bittersweet and a touch US indy cinema by numbers - you also have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. It did get me thinking about Christmas, friends and family. I was asked a couple of weeks ago what would be my ideal Christmas this year. I said I'd love to go away to Cornwall or some sunny islands for the week with my partner - some of you may have spotted the flaw in my plan! I'd not caught up with this person for a while, so I let it hang there and let them try to work out whether I'd now hooked up with someone and they had missed it. After a suitable pause I admitted that the fundamental flaw in this plan was my lack of partner!

Being a singleton at Christmas is different - not better nor worse - just different. You don't get into the "we went to your parents last year and you know I hate your mother's gravy" type arguments - which is good. Equally, without kids you can't extract yourself from a dull evening with the"kids are getting tired" excuse - which, on occasion, could be useful. The main thing is you are not quite sure where you want or are supposed to be - with parents, siblings, friends, wider family?

This year I'm fortunate in that I'll spend time with all of the above. For this, and for the great collection of friends and family I have, I am grateful and extremely blessed. Wherever you are this Christmas I hope you find peace, love and contentment. Love to you all.

No comments: