Saturday, July 22, 2006

Meanwhile, back in the 50s...

In the last series of Friends, Chandler and Monica wanted to move to an area where they knew the neighbours, where the kids could play in the streets, and where ice-cream vans would come by. Ross said he knew somewhere like that, it was back in the 1950s. On occasions I think they could have moved to Teddington.

Last Sunday I popped by the ‘Teddington Village Fair’ organised by the stalwarts of many a suburb and small town, the local Lions Club. Numerous gazebos were there for local organisations; there was a bouncy castle, a skittles game, an ice-cream van and a coconut shy. As you can see in the photo, one stall seemed to solely consist of a very large selection of cushions!

It’s easy to mock this type of thing - and I admit I find these things very weird considering the location is in a city - but that’s not really my intent. I find it fascinating that ’village’ events like this can still flourish in cities; people want a sense of local community (another similar event is the Bournville Village Festival in south Birmingham). It’s not really my thing, but it’s difficult to really dislike.

No comments: