Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lest We Forget

Was shopping yesterday morning and was rummaging through M&S jumpers when it dawned on me that it had all gone quiet. Looked around and people were observing 2 minutes silence.

I don't particularly want to enter Jon Snow territory here, but a couple of things struck me. Firstly, isn't the whole point of Remembrance Sunday that we observe this 'properly'? Secondly, how it was done in this particular store was pretty poor. Unless I missed it and walked in halfway through, there was no annoucement and the end of the observance was merely an electronic bleep. Overhead one woman leaving the store saying "they do it better at Tesco." I can't comment on that but if we, as a society, want to observe 2 minutes silence on 11/11 in addition to Remembrance Sunday, can we at least do it properly?

In the evening I was at St Alban's Abbey to hear the Hertfordshire Chorus perform Britten's War Requiem; it seemed very fitting.

The church service I was at this morning had an act of remembrance as it should be - poignant and thoughtful.

No comments: