Monday, September 11, 2006

Saturday 9th September - Oban

Can tell I’m in Scotland. By 11.20am I’ve had a magnificent cooked breakfast, been on a tour of the local distillery and sampled 3 whiskys.

I'm the only one on the tour who is neither German nor Swedish and once again I embarassed by my lack of linguistic ability. All of the others on the tour are hearing a very clear guide, but with a distinct Scottish accent, and are able to understand and ask intelligent questions in their second or even third language.

I sample 3 different whiskys as the tour guide - a lovely local Scottish lass - tries to find me one acceptable to my unsophisticated southern palate. One is successfully found - apparently it's either 'one for the ladies' or a 'training' whisky', depending on how macho I need to feel.

Local attraction tonight is a Ceilidh featuring Michelle McManus of ‘Pop Idol’ fame as the special guest. I am able to resist, though also find it slightly amusing that the local cinema in showing ‘The Wicker Man’ - I know it’s the remake but still seems funny.

No comments: