Monday, September 11, 2006

Friday 8th September - Liverpool to Oban

Have no destination mind other than ’north’. I need to be in Oban by Sunday to catch a ferry but between then and now I don’t have to be anyway particular. Once the road gets past Lancaster the drive is accompanied by wonderful scenery as you skirt the edge of the Lakes and then enter Scotland.

The beauty is abruptly ended by the journey on the M8 through Glasgow - a stretch of motorway that makes the M25 seem a Sunday afternoon drive in a rural tranquil setting - but before long I’m alongside Loch Lomond. Look at the time and decide I can make Oban easily tonight.

Pull into Oban and head for the Tourist Information Centre to sort out accommodation for a couple of nights. It’s busy in town but they find somewhere. I’m in ‘hotel’ above a ‘vibrant’ local backstreet pub; it’s not a quiet night!

No comments: