Friday, February 17, 2006

"Devon, I'm in Devon"

In Devon for a long weekend . I’ve been to numerous parts of the UK - from the Scilly Isles to the Orkneys, but Devon is a county I’ve only really driven through rather than visited.

When in a new part of the UK I like to listen to the local radio stations - I find they give you a good feel for the place. Coming through Devon I tuned into the local station and caught some of their phone in.

“Today we are discussing how short people when driving tend to be at a bit more of a disadvantage as the sun shines in their eyes more. Give us a call to talk about this and how you deal with it.”

First caller; “I tend to prop my self up in the driving seat by using a lot of cushions.”

Second caller; “I don’t understand why car manufacturers, instead of fitting the shades they currently do, don’t fit some sort of roller blind to the windscreen. The driver can then adjust it depending on their height and where the sun is.”

This is why wherever I have a mad idea to attempt to write some form of comedy I feel I should give up - I’ll never come up with anything funnier than what happens in real life.

Guess I’ve now got a feel for Devon.

1 comment:

Peccadillo said...

But that's what comedy at it's best is: delivering up a slice of unremarkable life in a way you may not have noticed before. You are great at that. Therefor you are a comic. In my book, at least.