Sunday, January 08, 2006

Weird Weekend

Not along the lines of Louis Theroux spending it with the Hamiltons or some bizarre sect in the deep south of the USA - just a slightly strange weekend for me. I’d deliberately kept it free ‘just in case‘ and I’m still not 100% after being ill at Christmas. However, in the end I had nothing to do this weekend - zip, zilch, nada, nowt. Following the Christmas and New Year whirl, plus the November and December busyness, it was a very weird feeling - just me, myself and my flat for 48 hours - v. scary. OK, I had stuff to do - attempt to sort out the junk in my garage or clean the fridge freezer - but surprisingly these didn’t appeal as exciting weekend distractions!

Will this be the pattern for 2006? Hope not - I like/need to do ‘things’ - but the diary is a little bare; a skiing trip, a wedding in March, and somewhat bizarrely, the Bon Jovi concert at the new Wembley (don’t ask….). I knew 2006 would be different, but I’m not sure this is what I had in mind. So what did I do? Well, thank God for BBC7 - fast becoming my favourite radio station - which had a 3 hour tribute to Ronnie Barker on Saturday morning. So I listened to that and pottered around. Then, with the rest of the day ahead, figured it was time for watching some cowboy on cowboy lovin’.

Brokeback Mountain is an absorbing film - beautifully shot, stunning scenery, well acted and great moustaches. Some Ang Lee films, particularly Sense and Sensibility and To Ride with the Devil, I really like and this new one is well worth watching. However, it’s also very sad - not a film to see if you want some light comedy or cheering up - you have been warned. I also found myself thinking,
…isn’t that the nurse from ER, the one whose with Luka?
…blimey, Jen from Dawson’s Creek ain’t half changed…..

No comments: