Sunday, January 15, 2006

"Life is a rollercoaster....."

You'll probably have that song in your head now...my work is done. Forgive another reflective post - not what I intended when I commenced blogging - fear not, the 'funnies' will return.

I've no idea what a 'normal' weekend is, particularly a Saturday. From mid-Oct I had various things - some social! - and didn't have free Saturdays - quite enjoyable. This Sat was back to Birmingham to go through the final things left in the family house, stuff I might be interested in. I've found these occasions a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. There is the 2 hour drive each way alone with my thoughts (many of you will know that may not be the most cheerful of places!). What will I find? Will it bring joy or sadness? A bit of a hoarder by nature, will I be able to bring myself to throw stuff away? Additionally, with the family home in the process of being sold, this could be the final time I'd be at the house I'd grown up in.

Though a mixed day, overall it was OK. Mum fund various stuff relating to the time spent in Africa - including the cards I got for my first birthday - so was quite happy. Me? I ploughed through various old toys and books from when I was a kid. Mostly junk - with 3 trips to the local council dump - I did manage to retreive the following;
....a Sinclair Spectrum + computer - wonder if it still works...
....a Kodak slide projector - a lot of family snaps are on slides...
....various annuals from the 70s & 80s - Blue Peter, Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, Ivor the Engine, Roy of the Rovers, Mary, Mungo and Midge, Parsley & the Herbs, Look-in....
....a wooden elephant...
....a couple of sets of FuzzyFelt...
....Starsky & Hutch and Neighbours board games...

My garage is now like the storage area for the conveyor belt round of the Generation Game in the early 80s....

No comments: