Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Dress down Wednesday

One of those strange diary quirks meant that I had a meeting first thing this morning in the City of London.

The train was standing room only as normal but the Waterloo and City line, though busy, wasn't rammed. About halfway rumbling along the drain I looked around and it dawned on me - not a single person, male or female, was in a suit. The order of the day seemed to be casual trousers, smart jeans, fleece top or North Face jacket. It was the same at Bank station - though busy I spotted only one commuter suited and booted.

Walking to my meeting I passed the Bank of England (crush barriers ready) and the RBS offices - noticing that unlike many store and bank fronts it wasn't boarded up. The only people sporting shirt and ties seemed to be the various doormen and security guards who were very fastidiously checking people's passes before letting them in the buildings. Leaving the meeting at 10.30am I head to Liverpool St station - it's really quiet and I get the tube no problem.

I've always liked the contrasts of the Square Mile - Monday through Friday it's all hustle and bustle, and at weekends very quiet, empty and peaceful. Today was different still - it was fascinating to see how the whole atmosphere of the place changed for the better, on the tube and as people walked to work, simply because virtually everyone had 'dressed down'.

No comments: