Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Defining Constructivism

All a bit last minute but I head off to the Rodchenko/Popova show at Tate Modern. Although I'd seen the review on The Culture Show, I wasn't really sure what to expect - modern abstract art, constructivism in graphic design and posters, good old fashioned Soviet propaganda?

What a fantastic exhibition. Geometric abstract art in vivid colours, a room of intricate sculpture (not really my thing) and wonderful posters covering everything from Communist Party promotion to Battleship Potemkin to the cover for a magazine entitled 'Syphilis' - I kid you not and I'm guessing not a big seller.

Perhaps not having any preconceived ideas going in to the exhibition I had an open mind and was more receptive to this type of art. It doesn't really matter - it is a wonderful exhibition.

It may not be your 'thing' - but go to it if you get the chance, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: