Saturday, June 17, 2006

Ssshhhakespeare....

Last night was one of those evenings when you appreciate and make the most of where you live. On a beautiful evening The Open Air Theatre in Regents Park is a wonderful place to be - picnic with friends beforehand, excellent production of Taming of the Shrew and a drink in the al fresco bar on a balmy night afterwards - wonderful.

Taming of the Shrew intrigued me. It's a funny play and the production was excellent - but I'm not sure about its 'gender dynamics'. The plot in nutshell seems to be Petruchio, suffering after the death of his father decides to marry Katherina, the Shrew - a woman for which the description 'feisty' is a dramatic understatement. Claiming to act out from love he denies her food and sleep - in effect wearing her down thus taming her. Not sure it's a great feminist work! It's a very un-PC power dynamic and, to certain extent, made me a little uneasy.

It reminded me a little of Secretary - a film I liked but which also made me uneasy. Is it, and Shrew, a story of misogyny or of empowerment, albeit one with a strange power dynamic? I guess ultimately both are the story of a loving relationship which others may find strange, but which works for those involved.

Alternatively...
...I could be over analysing a play/film...
...I actually prefer the feisty nature of the pre-tamed shrew...
...I'm just too nice - perhaps I need this?

1 comment:

Smittyonline said...

Cheers already seen and enjoyed it - how else do you think I knew the plot to Taming of the Shrew?