Wednesday, November 30, 2005

In defence of Notting Hill

I've been found guilty of enjoying Notting Hill. In my defence I offer the following;
....it was included as a guilty pleasure - I'm aware of my slight perversion
....most of it is bad, very bad - the whole Horse and Hound thing! - but I did say that some scenes and characters were good
....good characters - those played by Emma Chambers (ditzy sister) and Hugh Bonneville (loveable but slightly dim friend)
....good scene 1 - when they go around for the meal - yes I know it leads to the truely awful pleading for the brownie (bucket time) but I like the way the friends react when not only has he brought a date, but a famous film star
....good scene 2 - the tracking shot following the sister as she walks past the market and the seasons of the year play out in the background. Short but technically really good. It also gets the passage of time across without the hands on a clock going round super fast or a caption saying 'ten months later'

I realise that the above can only be offered as a vain attempt to reduce my sentence - but I haven't (yet) resorted to a plea on the grounds of diminished responsibilties or insanity.

Blimey - these were only the guilty pleasures I felt able to confess to.............

No comments: