Sunday, May 30, 2010

Nothing like a Dame

Can't recall which royal said it - one of the George's I think - but 'bugger Bognor' seems about right. I thought I'd stay in a place on the coast but unfortunately I've chosen Bognor Regis... I've never been here before - if I had I doubt I'd have made that mistake.

To be fair it's like many other British seaside towns - it's a bit down on it's luck and I can't work out whether the large Butlin's resort is a blessing - still attracting tourists - or a curse - it sucks life out of the resort as they never have to leave the Butlin's bubble.

Nonetheless I discover that, like many seaside towns, once you escape the rather run down centre you can come across some nice places - in Margate you have the interesting Cliftonville, in Bognor you have Aldwick and Pagham. I manage to find a wonderful neighbourhood Italian restaurant with great homemade tiramisu and all is right with the world.

So after the 'delights' of Bognor last night, this morning I headed to Littlehampton. Again, like many small seaside towns I can't help but ask what is the point of Littlehampton? What do all the people who live here actually do?

Well, it doesn't matter as it has a certain charm - and the excellent East Beach Cafe. Somewhat surreally, as I tuck in to a lovely lunch, I discover that Dame Maggie Smith is sat a couple of tables away. Interestingly it's not the adults who've spotted her but some of the smaller children - they can spot a Hogwarts professor a mile off. With minimal fuss - most people still don't spot her - she discreetly signs a couple of autographs and is left to enjoy her lunch in piece with her friends and family.

I discover that this is not the only thespian connection Littlehampton has. Apparently Ronnie Barker used to live there and based Open All Hours on a local shop... small world...

No comments: