Saturday, August 12, 2006

(almost) 4 Weddings and a Funeral

In the past 12 months I've been to 3 weddings and a funeral; nearly 4 weddings but couldn't make one.

There are quite a lot of similarities between weddings and funerals - bear with me here. Both are occasions where you meet up with family and friends you may not have seen for a while - quite often the last wedding/funeral you attended. Both usually contain tears - which event has them relating to joy and which to sadness may differ depending on how you know the participants! And both, I believe, are occasions of celebration. It's more obviously a celebration with a wedding (unless it's a really weird wedding!), but whilst there is undoubtedly grief at a funeral, there should also be celebration of a person's life, of thankfulness for what that person has done, and of joy of having known that person.

Yesterday was my Grandad's funeral. Not an easy day, and one containing many tears. But, hopefully, a day which celebrated his long and full life and, admist the tears, there was also joy.

Now, if following the film plot I believe the next wedding is my rebound one to 'Duckface' - ending in violence and me opening my door to a rain soaked Andie McDowell. We shall see...

No comments: