Saturday, July 10, 2010

I don't like cricket...

.. and whilst I wouldn't say I love it, I do enjoy it.

So after work last night I headed to the Oval - sorry, The Brit Oval - to watch, somewhat strangely, Kent v Essex.

I've not followed much Twenty 20 cricket - the short form of the game - but can see it's attractions. A chance for the batters to innovate new shots, fielding becomes an important skill as every shot and run counts, and good, tight bowling is rewarded.

It's all done in a manageable time frame of 3 hours - no commitment of four days and the result still being a draw - yet even in this shortened form the game can ebb and flow, as this one did.

I wouldn't want this to become the only form of cricket - and there is always the fear that the administrators will over commit to T20 thus ruining part of its attraction - but with some friends after work in wonderful weather it's definitely a very pleasant way to start the weekend.

No comments: