Tuesday, April 20, 2010

And not a Titchmarsh in sight...

Despite having lived in London for several years I have never been to Kew Gardens. This is perhaps even more shameful as for the last few years I've lived fairly close. Anyway, today I corrected that - with lovely spring sunshine and the added bonus of no planes flying overheard.

I'm not really in to gardens; I find them slightly dull as one plant looks pretty similar to another to me. What can I say, I'm a city boy. But Kew was lovely - from the magnificent glass houses to the peaceful quieter parts, from the beautiful lawns to the tree top walk - a well worth trip.

Kew collects an interesting selection of visitors. From pensioners with their season tickets who like the cafes and restaurants, to slightly bemused overseas tourists; from school trips with bored teenagers, to SW London yummie mummies and/or their nannies with children in tow. Having a coffee I was near a particularly braying mum with her brood - talking inanities to friends, or on her mobile, she was wittering on about 'raising children is soooo different in Europe' and 'I didn't even record the leaders' debate but daren't tell my freinds. But I ensured I Skyplused Desperate Housewives'. I have to admit that she was such a stereotype I did look around for a film crew wondering if a spoof or a new sitcom was being recorded (or even a section for Outnumbered which has to be the most depressingly middle class and unfunny 'sitcom' since Terry & June - no doubt that will annoy some...).

Stereotypical mums aside - a lovely few hours in an oasis in SW London.

No comments: