Friday, August 14, 2009

The Proms

The other day I was thinking that despite having lived in London for several years, there are numerous 'London' things I haven't done. For some bizarre reason going to the Proms sprung to mind, so I booked a ticket for the Friday I returned from Devon, regardless of the programme.

Well, it wasn't your 'typical' prom evening...

First up was a piece by Jonny Greenwood. Still best known as part of Radiohead he has also done some classical and film work - his soundtrack for There Will Be Blood won a Grammy. The piece was fine, very enjoyable, though I'm not sure how the orchestra felt as for long sections the strings either have to pluck their instruments or play them as though they were ukuleles - slightly ironic as the excellent Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain are playing the Proms next week.

Then there was Apollo by Stravinsky - fairly mainstream and most enjoyable.

After the interval was 'The Arches' from The Mask of Orpheus by Sir Harrison Birtwistle. The words interesting, challenging and innovative spring to mind. It came across to me as a strange mix of improvised jazz, bad experimental Anglican liturgy and the noise a group of toddlers make when they are let loose with the instruments from the toy box.

It was a little bit weird, a little bit mental, and I actually found it quite enjoyable! Not sure what the various tourists made of it - the Japanese and Korean students sat next to me, who seemed be in London to attend language school, looked a little bemused.

At least they stayed. On a Friday night I'd say the Royal Albert Hall was around half full and several left during the Birtwistle piece. As I said, not a 'typical' Prom!

No comments: