Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Grand Depart - part deux

The sun is shining and London has rarely looked better. The crowds are massive and the Prologue of the Tour de France is about to begin...

I arrived at Hyde Park just after midday. The publicity caravan is not due to go round the course for a couple of hours and the final rider won't be here until after 6pm, yet already people are camped out for the best views by the barriers. If nothing else you have admire their bladder control.

I look at the map, get my bearings and go for a wander to spy out where there might be decent viewing spaces and where the big screens are. Despite there being thousands here already, within 1omins I bump into someone I know - small world.

When the Tour de France was last in the UK in 1994 I went and saw both days - Chris Boardman lost the maillot jaune just before coming to England and, bizarrely, Sean Yates winning it on the day it returned to France - so I sort of know what to expect. However, this is the Prologue - a short curtain-raising time-trial where 189 riders will set off at one minute intervals - and it's in central London so things are slightly different.

I continue my wander, buy my t-shirt and then decide on my tatics. As it comes to the 3pm start time I'm watching the big screen near Wellington Arch with thousands of others. The screen shows the clock at the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben chimes and the first rider is off - to a huge cheer. The big screen follows his progress around the course and as he aproaches a huge cheer goes up.

And so I spend the rest of the day watching the race - either on the big screens or up close. Each rider is cheered on their way, Bradley Wiggins and David Millar getting huge encouragement, and a throughly enjoyable day is had. I even manage to get some photos with the cyclists in them - rather than the usual one of a blank section of road and people looking to where the cyclist now was.

Unfortunately the fairy tale ending of local boy Wiggins winning doesn't happen - he is creditable fourth. As the last few finish it is a tight race and the crowd at the big screen are shouting and cheering as the winner, Swiss rider Cancellara, is the only rider to complete the course in under 9 minutes. These boys can motor.

A fantastic day - hope it returns soon.

No comments: