Friday, April 13, 2007

A Hundred Miles or More

Having not bought any music for quite a while I seem to have found a bit of streak. There are very few artists whose recordings I'd buy unheard, but Alison Krauss and Union Station are one. Not a particularly well known artist in the UK, I found it a bit bizarre when I saw a TV ad promoting her new album as the 'Album of the Week' at Sainsburys - so off I toddled.

Now I've been a AKUS fan since their wonderful Now That I've Found You: A Collection 1995 release containing the simply beautiful "When You Say Nothing At All" (latterly completely ruined by Ronan Keating on the Notting Hill soundtrack - another reason to not like Ronan). Some of the releases since have been superb, such as Lonely Runs Both Ways, and other have been a bit, well disappointing, such as Forget About It.

A Hundred Miles or More: A Collection is a bit hit and miss - it contains some new stuff, some film soundtrack songs she has recorded (including from the Prince of Egypt OST!) and one track from The Best of Country Sing the Best of Disney recording (no, I'm not making that up!).

With some excellent new tracks written by Julie Lee (a great artist in her own right), a couple of songs from the Cold Mountain and O Brother Where Art Thou soundtracks, and the excellent Whiskey Lullaby, it's still better than 99% of the other stuff that makes it on to CD. The best starting point with AKUS for newbies is their truly superb Live CD/DVD, but this is definitely worth a listen.

No comments: