Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Inner Momentum

I've often thought that Cheshire is the Hertfordshire of the north - nice, fairly posh, undulating, no massive city and a commuter belt inhabited by executives, Premiership footballers and WAGS. I'm also not entirely sure what the point of it is... but I quite like it.

Spent a fascinating day there with a couple of members of my 'learning set'. We were spending time with a business leader - who'd been overseas, on the board of major companies, and in several non-exeutive director roles - to pick their brains about leadership. A riveting few hours which got me thinking. Here was a business leader who seemed grounded, pleasant, liked people and had not sold out on his core principles - a successful 'nice guy'.

I saw a lot of similarities between us (he'd also 'drifted into accountancy' and has a quirky sense of humour) but also a lot of differences! One phrase stuck in my mind. When asked what motivated him, the reply, after a pause, was "an inner momentum". I thought those few words contained a lot.

No comments: