Friday, February 03, 2012

Flash, bang, wallop, what a picture...

Been a bit of strange week, and a quiet(ish) weekend looks to be ahead, so as Friday evening approached I decided to head of for a wander around the excellent National Portrait Gallery which, like a lot of galleries and museums in London, is open late on Fridays.

I managed to catch the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize exhibition before it ends next weekend. I've come across this in the past - it's an annual competition - and, once again, I found there were numerous stunning images to draw you in.

The portraits vary from films stars, to quirky people, to a sort of reportage style - all are photographic portraits. It's not a massive exhibition but there is plenty to look at and ponder over. You may not agree with the prize winners - I'm not sure I did - yet there isn't a dud portrait to be found. I'm always fascinated by portraits, I think partly because I hate having my photo taken so am intrigued that people will sit for such photos, and ended up spending a lot more in the shop than intended!

The exhibition ends on 12th February - but if you do find yourself passing it definitely provides a diverting and rewarding few minutes of your time.

No comments: