Sunday, November 21, 2010

A picture worth a thousand words

Friday evening I popped in to the Royal Festival Hall to have a look at the World Press Photo exhibition. I've managed to see this the last few years and would highly recommend seeing it if you get the chance.

The photos contained their usual mix of beautiful and challenging images portraying joy and hardship. Images of Gaza and the rioting in Madagascar are particularly tough, but there are also images of great beauty such as those of the wildlife in South Georgia, Antarctica. I particularly liked some stunning photos of Barrack Obama's inauguration - from a private moment backstage to addressing the mass crowds in the National Mall.

The winning photo was of the rooftop protests that accompanied the Iranian demonstrations following the last election. I have to admit I didn't agree with the choice - it's the right story but I felt other photos were better images that were more powerful or conveyed the situation better.

But what do I know? Look for yourself - the winning photos can be seen here. There is also a magnificent archive.

No comments: