Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Happy Christmas

Last Sunday the minister at my church did a wonderful talk about the iconography of Christmas cards. It was exactly the sort of talk churches should do more often - relevant, amusing and informative. I was looking through my cards again today and was not quite sure what he would make of some of them. Several feature penguins (what, they weren't in your nativity scene?), some have snowmen, and one, somewhat bizarrely, is a picture of a bicycle covered in snow. My favourite is the one below - surely nothing quite truly captures the spirit of Christmas than women in the 1930s throwing snowballs at each other in bathing suits??


Whatever your feelings are about Christmas - be it the warmth of spending time with family, the annoyance of the consumerism, or the joy of 'the reason for the season' - I wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

No comments: